Eggplant Tower stuffed with herb cheese spread
- 1 eggplant, cut into 12 rounds
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 container Herb & Garlic Cheese Spread
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp canola oil
- salt 1/2 tsp
- pepper 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Season the eggplant slices with salt and pepper.
- Dip eggplant slices in flour, then egg mixture, and finally in panko bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a medium size pan and fry the eggplant slices. Lay fried slices on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Once cooled, using an offset spatula, spread 2 Tbsp of cheese spread over all slices of eggplant. Then, using three eggplant slices make a tower.
- Bake eggplant in the oven for 6-8 minutes.
- In a pot, heat the 2 Tbsp of canola oil and sautée the onions and garlic for one minute.
- Add in the canned tomatoes, the chili flakes and 1/2 cup of water.
- Simmer the sauce for 20 minutes and season with 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- Set sauce aside.
- To serve, ladle sauce on a plate, and top with eggplant tower.
Garnish with fresh basil.